The Empire Ranch Exhibit presents digital surrogates of various documents, photographs, and maps located in Special Collections at the University of Arizona Libraries which chronicle the early years of one of Southern Arizona’s largest cattle ranches. The pioneering effort to build the Empire Ranch and Cattle Company got underway in 1876 when Walter Vail arrived in Tucson. The Empire Ranch located about 50 miles southeast of Tucson is now listed in the National Register of Historic Places. This web exhibit presents information about the ranch’s early years.
For more information about the collections used in this exhibit please contact Askspecialcollections@u.library.arizona.edu or Special Collections, 1510 E. University, P.O. Box 210055, Tucson, AZ 85721-0055 ph 520.621. 6423 fax 520.621.2709